View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
kingsway
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Welcome to ecomodder.

A Kammback will work the same on an estate as on a hatchback.

With most of Europe in the freezer these days, you won't need much cooling ;-)
The upper grille can safely be closed off - many have blocked (part of) the lower grille.
Always keep an eye on temperatures when blocking grilles.

If you haven't tried coasting to slowly reduce speed - give it a try.
(I keep the engine on for power steering and power brakes , others even kill the engine)
I have yet to block the actual grills - so no aerodynamic advantage yet - but have blocked-off about two-thirds of the radiator to good effect. It's warming up in half the time, and no sign of the temp being too high (it's about 0 deg C at the moment!

I'll be interested to see if a few minor mods can bring about any useful savings. I tend to get similar mpg figures however the car is driven...

I must admit I haven't really tried coasting - I live in a very flat area of the UK, and see heavy traffic pretty much all the time, so not that much opportunity!

My little i litre 3 speed automatic Daihatsu is the one that guzzles fuel - costing slightly more to run than the (manual) Golf which is nearly twice its size! (By about UK£1.00 per hour.)

I am a Driving Instructor, so most of my mileage is done with a novice at the wheel. Only towards the end can I start introducing them to Eco-Driving techniques!

BTW I can't afford a Scanguage - I don't think it will work with my VW anyway - but am using a very low cost Android APP called 'Torque' on my smartphone and a very cheap (less than $10) Bluetooth OBD2 adapter.

Due to the non standard protocols used by VW I can read a lot of things, but not fuel consumption on the VW. Works 100% on the Daihatsu however.

Last edited by kingsway; 02-05-2012 at 07:55 AM..