View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
27% is a heckuva gain.

I didn't see comments about the reduction of total miles. That is, having combined small errands into one longer trip (and used MAPQUEST or other "routing" software) to achieve the same results in fewer miles, thus fewer gallons.

If this is being done, then the 27% savings and fewer miles traveled is adding up nicely.

As above, it really is about records. I've always driven for economy to the majority of years driven, but only with this truck did I become more serious. And yet again after joining here, and, then again. Records show this. A nice change over the past nearly five years.

I would suggest learning how a cents-per-mile calculation is done, and once fuel is understood, then entering all other pertinent data to a complete understanding of what it takes to operate the vehicle every mile. My fuel cpm is currently estimated at 16-cpm, but the actual is nearly 50-cpm.

You will want to have both time and miles understood to do this: how long will you keep the vehicle, and how many miles will it accumulate?

With this sort of context those pennies saved really add up.