View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
EricF
EcoModding Lurker

My car as 70,000 miles on it. It does not have the CEL illuminated, nor any pre-codes. I guess the ultra-gauge can show codes before they turn on the CEL.

My commute is 14.8 miles each way. It consists of 1.7 miles on residential streets (30 mph), 5 miles of highway (60 mph), and 8.1 miles of arterial roads (40 and 45 mph).

The 5 mile stretch of highway is a big hill, all downhill going to work and uphill coming home. Elevation is sea level at the bottom and 494 feet at the top.

I commute to work at 4:30 am so there is no traffic to speak of. I usually get stopped at 1 traffic light for about 1 minute.

The commute home can be congested. The highway portion moves at the speed limit. The arterial segment is usually stop-and-go for 2.5 miles of the distance, and at or slightly below (5 mph or so) the speed limit for the remaining distance. I usually get stopped at 3 to 5 lights on the way home, each for about 1 minute.

I let my car warm up for about 2 minutes before leaving home and again when leaving work.

One thing that sucks about the Seattle area is that everything is hills. Aside from the big hill I take on the freeway, about 1/2 of the rest of the route is on some sort of gradual incline. None of them steep enough to coast down without loosing speed, though I don't put it in neutral.

I haven't yet had a chance to go on a long freeway drive to see what the numbers are in a steady state environment.

I also haven't yet figured out what the best amount of time to warm up the engine is. With other cars I've had in the past, I usually leave within 30 seconds of starting the engine. But with the CVT in this Nissan it runs at a higher RPM until the engine is warmed up.