View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #127 (permalink)
Electictracer
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Electictracer
[QUOTE=Ken Fry;285097]1. The issue can be seen by watching someone start out on an Ecomobile or Monotracer. Unlike a motorcycle, which the rider naturally makes vertical with respect to gravity at a stop, enclosed motorcycles (so far) list at a stop to be perpendicular to the road, which is typically crowned. So the driver has to first get the wheels directly under the CG, which requires a swerve. If the bike is leaning to the right, the driver must steer to the right. If there is a car immediately to the right, this is a problem.

In a normal motorcycle, this stuff is so easy that it requires no thought and almost no effort: even if you are leaning slightly at a stop, a tiny push to vertical is simple.QUOTE]

This is very insightful. I wish I had read this about 6 months ago.
My plan with my outriggers is to have torsion springs with an air shock holding down the wheels. The start out lean would be less dramatic this way, then say if your wheels where 1 inch off the ground when straight up. The crown in the road is something I did not consider. I can see the difficulty in correcting this lean on start out. It will be interesting to how big a problem this is.
Oregon commuter is the thread name for project if interested.