View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #82 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
remember I am talking about a 94 XFI

NO power steering pump and NO AC

the ONLY accessories I have are alternator and water pump. so for me nothing else changes.

I am replacing the crank pulley with an aluminum pulley. this will lighten my rotational mass quite a bit and I can still "put" a belt on if I really need too.

YES I agree sometimes just too hot without AC learned that the hard way in the metro last summer.

thats why I am getting a tracker as soon as I can. so when it "REALLY" is just too hot to be without AC I can drive the tracker.

if you really want to go electric steering this is probably easier than you think.

you ONLY need to power the steering pump while not moving or moving slowly. once your at highway speed there is flat out NO reason to run the power steering pump. even not intended to be manual cars are usually pretty easy to steer at highway speeds on smaller lighter cars. I would confirm this first though :-)

BUT if you running a car with all this stuff you need to make sure of the kind of typical POWER DRAW your going to experience. remember a metro is a power sipper. the electric water pump takes about as much power as "the rest of the car" takes ie not much.

Lights are an issue which is why I am going LED including the headlights if I can figure out how to cheaply and legally :-)

the BLOWER is the biggest issue. when its damp out IE foggy windows you have to use the blower and heat (no ac remember) and its a power PIG :-)

Last edited by Nerys; 02-07-2012 at 01:43 AM..