View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Every day I can ride my bike on my normal 40 mile 46 traffic light route, I use right at .5 gallon of fuel on average, not quite as well in the winter, say 73 instead of 84 MPG. Cost $3750 with 684 miles.

The Maixma, currently at just over 28 MPG average sits in the garage waiting for rainy or cold weather. Cost $2k with 138k miles. We bought the car new, sold it to our son in law, then bought it back 80k miles later.

My 94 VX best mileage was 68MPG at 64 MPH on the Interstate for 300 miles with over 500 pounds of payload.

Best on my 02 Insight was 70.2 MPG for 654 miles.

The Insight required $7000 in warranty repairs from 35k to 64k miles, all done for free by Honda, but it would have been a nightmare if I had to pay out of pocket.

Daox, I have looked at some customer reviews of hybrid battery repair and they have some issues, customer service is spotty at best. Reading Metro's thread about reviving his Insight battery seems like a viable option.

The main issue for me is logistics of the purchase which is 3 hours away. If the car was drive able then I would seriously consider it, but the closest place where I could park it would require a tow costing a lot of money. I could borrow my brothers truck and trailer and haul it here, but even that means I am buying a car that could have other issues and not know of them until I had put a lot of money into the deal.

I do agree, if it was half as much money it would be a neat project.

regards
Mech