View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mr. Previa
ECOModder

RAV - '13 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD
90 day: 27.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
You are right that time will tell, but I'd predict that Connclark is correct about the aero costs. Your best way to find out will be with A-B-A testing. I love your initiative and this is close to a mod I want to do, but I plan for 2mm thick and flexible panels that will form-fit to the roof. This thicker panel mounted on the roof rack looks a little like a wing. I think if there is any way for you to do it and are committed to this hardware, you could move it to the trunklid. You might even make it a bit of a trunklid flat spoiler if it won't fit on the available surface. There would still be aero issues there, but I think they'd be less significant that your current wing-like roof mounting. Maybe others will chime in pointers.
Yep, I was hoping to use the flexible panels, but the budget didn't allow it. If I see a loss in mpg, then I will make some changes. I might start with lowering the front of the panel. Then perhaps make a small... hmm brain fart... a small deflector in front of the panel to carry the air over the panel.