Thread: Oregon commuter
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Electictracer
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Electictracer
Great info

Great information, although I cannot claim I fully understand all of it. Thankfully, sporty performance is not a concern for this project; I have a bike that handles amazingly for that purpose. I do need it to be safe and controllable. I have decided not to change any of the existing geometry of the steering; I am just lengthening the wheel base considerably. I know this will have a negative effect on steering responsiveness. Again I don’t plan on racing and its base is similar to the monotracers.
Ken, I’m very interested in your outriggers you mentioned. You said they were manually powered and fell with gravity? How, or did they, lock in place. My plan is to use two double acting pneumatic cylinders (one for each outrigger) to retract the “training wheels.” With the loss of air pressure, springs will drive the outriggers down into the ground. Moments after they are down, my valves will close up both sides of the cylinder. My thoughts are this will act as a shock absorber and basically make it impossible for the vehicle lean over too much.
If anyone has any impute on this I would greatly appreciate it. I have ordered some of the materials to build this system, but am kind of waiting so I can consider it further. Thank you