Thread: Oregon commuter
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
visionary
Stick your neck out...

Thoughts about landing wheel design

based upon your last post I have the following observations

Design to fail-safe. Using a powered down spring design risks wheels deploying during use with potentially dangerous outcome in the event of a mechanism failure. Here in UK it is mandatory for stand mechanism to be sprung into retracted position (probably same in US) for reasons of safety.

Design for simplicity. Involving air power requires additional components (and mass)plus delays in deployment over a mechanical system. Also the synergy of use a "shock absorber" is in response to what percieved need? Test a simple prototype first before building a complex version - you may not have a problem to overcome!

I've never been a fan of "landing wheels" for both aesthetic and practical reasons (well outlined by Ken Fry) but the best system I've seen is on "Streamlined Electric Motorcycle". On my own full-bodied motorcycle project I have chosen to bypass this requirement completely - you could look at how others have chosen to overcome stationary stability for ideas, the Monotracer route is not your only option.

This is a great project to undertake, and I wish you well with it, but I caution you against adding unnecessary complication
Pete

The Following User Says Thank You to visionary For This Useful Post:
Electictracer (02-10-2012)