View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reloadwin
EcoModding Lurker

Silver Prius - '08 Toyota Prius
90 day: 46.37 mpg (US)
I too was thinking about buying a Honda Insight the newer models, but after researching the Insight and comparing it to the Toyota Prius. I will and recommend buying a Prius. Now before there are any negative comments here are the reason why, the drive train where the electric motor and ICE connect to put power to the wheels. Honda missed it, they have the ICE and electric motor connected together. They are both running at the same time when power is needed to the wheels Honda's Integrated Motor Assist. On the other hand the Prius as a Planetary Gear System. Power to the wheels can be individually provided either by the ICE or electric motor or together. If you are thinking long term I would choose a Prius because the battery packs in the future will be more powerful, you will be able to upgrade the packs, and the Prius would be able to run on electric power for a longer period of time using less fuel. The Insight has to have the ICE on running to power the wheels. I was all about the Insight until I read about the drive train.