View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Good to see some interesting discussion,
The vehicle shape is much as per post #7, but mine is the previous model, so is even less streamlined.
From what I have seen in various images and discussions, the windscreen angle is likely a bit steep, so I believe that there is most likely seperation at the windscreen roof junction, but haven't done any flow testing myself.
To improve this, I was thinking a 2 stage process.
1 / build up the bonnet area a bit infront of the windscreen, this would minimise the turbulance around the wipers as well as raise the airflow stream.
2 / add a bit of curvature to the roof as mentioned in the OP
then look at the issues at the rear and adjust to suit.
I think these type of vehicles are ideal candidates for improvements, because they are so bad aerodynamically.
I am also looking at rear wheel arch covers, skirts & partial underbody lining, there is also a small airdam at the front and I may look at this area a bit too, but possibilities are limited as I do go off road a bit and approach angle & clearance are important.
So in conclusion, without appropriate testing the proposal could go either way, which is what I was thinking myself, but I do lean towards a positive result, even with the increase in the frontal area, because it lays good foundations for major improvements in the rear.
Thanks again for all the comments.