View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #75 (permalink)
racerc2000
EcoModding Lurker

Elle - '10 Honda Element SC
well if it helps the new tires are continental extreme DWS

the wheels are forged and I got a really good deal on them fronts are 20lb rears are 20.9lb

the DWS tires seem to be on the light side of tires of this size.

as for my OEM wheels and tires. the wheels are like 32lb and the goodyear LS2 tires are on the heavy side and perform poorly.

I have a set of steel base model wheels and tires for winter but. they are 16" with 215/70-16. and the tires/wheel package weight is not much diff then the 18s.

and as for the availability and price. yes 19s are harder to find. (for cars that would need 30 series or less.) but the 245/45-275/40 set is an oem tire size for new mustangs and many other performance vehicles. much easier to find then 225/55-18s. and about the same price

the vehicle is a factory mod vehicle. lowered slightly aero kit etc. and the smallest wheels that can be run are 16s. or smaller wheels with a negative offset.....lol and. I havent tried it out yet with the 16" it may drive worse then a normal element due to the suspension.

so I would say I kinda thought it through. and want a compromise.

my goals were

A. light weight
B. have to look decent
C. price.

I was able to get rays forged wheels @1/4 retail price. so for 850$ they endup being the lightest option that wont sacrifice the sport feel by having huge sidewalls.

I wasnt just looking through a wheel book and saying ohhh that looks pretty. I do research on what is strong,what is light,if it happens to look good to its a big plus.

tires for 20s(large trucks) or 18s(cars) may be cheaper. but when your tire size is too big for most cars and too small for most trucks it gets hard.

and ive seen 29s on a base element but I dont know if they would fit on an SC. and... is taller really a mpg increase? or is it just a plesebo from a uncalibrated spedo?

Last edited by racerc2000; 02-09-2012 at 10:10 PM..