View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
worldskycat
EcoModding Lurker

Ruby-doo - '04 Hyundai Sonata
90 day: 37.73 mpg (US)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
I wasn't planing on doing any testing before hand, since I had used a full coverage bra on my old car (1991 Laser RS) for years and never saw any temperature spikes. Car bras of this type are a pretty well tested product.

I think the experimental testing part will be to determine if the surface turbulence on the mesh will make it work like a solid block at higher speeds (40 mph & up).
If there is a low pressure area behind the radiator,(due to the new skid-plate or other factors), that might negate the mesh's surface turbulence that I'm counting on..

So, I was planing on looking at the engine coolant temperatures at varying speeds. I was also thinking about placing some kind of air speed monitor inside to test the before-and-after air flow at varying speeds.

Once I had some benchmarks, I could easily insert solid blocks (sheet plastic) behind the mesh. (Making it the same as a blue tape block).
Comparing the solid block numbers to the mesh only numbers should tell me if the mesh is doing the job.
Which is, to allow air in when in stop-n-go and be aerodynamically smooth at higher speeds.
Interesting idea concerning the bra... I will be very curious to hear your results. I may go that route if indeed the numbers are favorable.

A note on radiators... I have been doing a lot of reading of late on the subject of cooling and it is my understanding that a radiator cools because of the variance between the high pressure zone in front of the radiator to the low pressure behind the radiator. If I am right (and I am sure that someone will politely correct me if I am wrong) then the real concern would be having the air pressure behind the radiator increase due to a modification, because that would increase your engine temp.