View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
Way to go, man! Keep up to good work.

I've been looking at doing a rear axle swap, too. I'm thinking it's easier to swap axles rather than gears (less to mess up). When I get around to it, I was going to just put a post up on Cummins Forum offering to swap somebody my area a 3.73 axle for a 3:42. That way there's no cost involved, just a little elbow grease. The key would be finding somebody who has comparable miles and hasn't abused it.
Thanks, again. Your insights are a real help.

There is a fairly long thread on the 3rd Gen trucks on CF in re this gear swap. Several good reports. For the 6.7L guys, see posts by CourierDog a hotshot owner/op out of central Alberta seeing 20-mpg after this swap on his early (badly geared) G56.

As my truck just turned over 180,000-miles at 4,600+ hours I am working from the premise, that, as the average mph on the truck is above 35-mph during my ownership period, and was at 47-mph with the previous owner, I am hoping that I am now at the halfway point in time and miles (per 15-year standard life, and slipping past the B50 or MTBO of 350k due to miles/hours relation). Thus my plans are of running this truck another eight [8] years and another 180k miles. Any drivetrain related upgrades would then have the time/miles to pay out in a reasonable fashion.

I am, then, considering sending a new AAM 3.42 gearset and master overhaul kit to MICROBLUE RACING for their proprietary work (as well as axle end bearings) due to some highly favorable experience being shown on the Let's Truck forum (threads by Dice1). 4/10's of a mpg consistently on big trucks with wheel bearing changes; tractor and/or trailer. If I also source the TT wheel bearings through them I am hoping for a bit of elbow room, overall, when towing conditions are otherwise difficult. I would like to see a 1-mpg gain for the rig where both vehicles are as well set up as possible (drivetrain [and related] efficiency).

As of today were I to overhaul the NV-5600 I might also send it out for the same work. All of this is expensive with a payback that is more about friction reduction (temp control, thus fluid life) with a possibility of mpg help. Sort of a "create favorable mechanical conditions" scenario.

23-mpg around town wasn't new. But for over 1,100-miles it sure was. I'm pleased to accomplish that, and can now see where spending money will be able to make money as the payout will be of reasonable length. And to have some fun with gold-plating a few items.