View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Blu3Z3rg
EcoModding Lurker

2005 Dakota - '05 Dodge Dakota SLT
90 day: 15.26 mpg (US)
Travel Trailer/Camper help

Ok guys... this one may be a bit trickier, BUT, after reading and such, I don't really know where to head with this thing. Here is a link to someone selling a camper just like mine:
2005 Kz Sportsmen 2404 BUNKHOUSE, Travel Trailers RV For Sale in Canton, Michigan | HW Motor Homes | RVT.com - 70317

My truck is a Dakota, as listed in my information. Pulling it is no problem weight wise, but the aerodynamics KILL me when up at speed. Especially last year, when there was a wind storm. I was fighting 50 mph wind gusts that I was headed straight into. My truck was brought down to a crawl on any hills. It wasn't good at all. I"m still working on the truck, and it shouldn't have a problem pulling, BUT, the aero on the camper can obviously be improved.

My thoughts: Some sort of boat tail, even minor should be a huge improvement. There is some damage and leaks to the roof, so this may actually prove to be beneficial. If not the whole way around, perhaps a little "wing" type as you see on some SUV's and such. QUESTION: Is there an optimal angle/length etc. for this and how do i find it?

The underbody will be smoothed, as it is already most of the way.

Anything else I could work on while i'm hacking it away?
I will be redoing the flooring and the master bedroom as well, mattress and all that got wet as well. Roof is now a single roll of sheet with some tar around all the stuff sticking out like the A/C etc.

Thanks for the help guys! I can use any improvment that would be worth the time and effort, and I promise to document!!!!

(Also revising my grille block and air dam on my truck to write up quickly for ya'll)