View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #5465 (permalink)
mora
EcoModding Apprentice

Golfwagen - '89 Volkswagen Golf mk2
90 day: 107.14 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbee View Post
i also read that your ev didn't had problems with the cold while the diesels did had trouble.
Yes, that's true. Thanks to electrolytic capacitors selection I can drive during coldest days too. I think those capacitors are only limiting factor when it comes to cold weather. Their operating temperatures range from -40C to +105C. I talk about power board. I haven't checked if small electrolytics on control board have same low temp ranges.

I know AC is more popular here in other conversions. Inverters they use are in most cases meant for industrial use and their temp range starts from +0C or -10C. I've asked some manufacturers why it is so and they say it is because electrolytic capacitors don't withstand cold. They've tested their inverters in cold enviroment and have had all kinds of trouble. None of them recommended their inverters for outside use if temps go below 0C. Mostly because of moisture getting into casing, freezing and then unfreezing and becoming fluid again. That's no problem if inverter is kept running all day long. It stays warm enough to drive away all the moist air. But what if you left your car parked outside for a week? You might suddenly have all kinds of trouble. I believe many people haven't thought of this while making their conversions. Some have pretty airtight boxes around their inverters but it doesn't stop electrolyte from freezing.