View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

You might want to elongate the trailer by extending the nose all the way to the tongue, using Coroplast. An elliptical nose is much less draggy than the stock configuration. Adds usable space, too. Would look more like a horse trailer.

Then, use more Coroplast to fair the wheels, using the existing fenders as mounting points.

The axle assy. under the trailer may hang down into the airflow, so fair that too, using Coroplast.

And, a boat tail can't hurt, either.

I'm considering purchase of a cheapo 4X8 trailer from Harbor freight, ~$200, to haul motorcycles. That's got just a flat bed, plus side rails. I'd mod is per description above, for an effective length of ~14' and effective width of ~6' once the wheels were faired in. Could even make a teardrop/airfoil shape, joining the Coroplast siding at the rear. Being flexible, it would not need hinges, and stringers for stiffness can be made by inserting wood or fiberglass battens into the Coroplast flutes.

I'm told the Harbor Freight cheapo trailers have crappy bearings and wheels/tires, so plan to swap those out for better ones on day one.