View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
A bit of excitement hey.
I'm with you Racerc2000,
Mine is a Nissan Patrol GU, basically the same box shape though.
Just remember any improvements you get as a percentage are going to mean a whole lot more in $ saved for the same improvement on a Honda Civic, so it's well worth doing it.
I'm new here, but my plan is to work from the front to the back & bottom to the top, seal the front and smooth out the underside a bit, do wheel covers, skirt the sides & cover the rear wheel arches, then look at what I can do with the roof & rear.
I know a lot of people are hooked up on RPM & wheel size, but it is not as simple as that, you can easily find that bigger tyres shift engine torque range and suddenly at cruise you actually have to use more fuel, and the argument does not wash for engine longevity either. When I changed to bigger tyres a while ago, once I had adjusted readings for the larger diameter tyres, fuel economy was still the same, and I had 4 years of records on the smaller tyres, and now I'm up to 6 on the larger tyres.
If you get airflow moving better, then you just won't need to push as hard on the "loud" pedal.
There is a lot of aero work going into semi trucks & trailers, their shape is far worse than ours, so if it's worth them doing it and it is worth doing it on matchbox cars, then surely it is worth doing it on ours which are between those two extremes.
Remember it's not a solar car challenge, it's you getting your own personal best.
Keep up the inspiration and get some things happening, as Arnie said "You Can Do It" (just use the right accent)