View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #46 (permalink)
HyperMileQC
Master EcoModder

Trollinsight (Retired) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 68.06 mpg (US)

Redsight - '01 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Carole - '05 Toyota Corolla Xrs
Team Toyota

Brise-Fer - '05 Toyota Echo
Team Toyota
Send a message via MSN to HyperMileQC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4
Won't you cause your brakes to overheat by covering them?
*The brake pads are getting alot of air from the other side of the wheel, and as hypermilers, we tend to not use the brake pedal, by using the driving without brake technique, so the brake pads are pretty cool all the time. I can assure you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4
Won't you cause improper wear and tear on the tires and suspension components
*The wheel covers are like ~3 Lbs with the original hub cap, so they are not really affecting the tire and suspension wear .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4
Not to mention dangerous braking with over inflated tires?
*45 Psi, over inflated tires? you must be joking. The tire max is 44, so 45 is not too high. Some people here inflate their tire up to 60 Psi, and have no problem.

Here is a really good article about overinflating tires on cleanmpg.com...

Driving Under Pressure (full article) - CleanMPG Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4
Won't you cook your engine and transmission covering most of the air vents?
*The grille block is effectively blocking alot of air from going into the engine bay. But, having a ScanGauge, we can monitor the engine heat, and it stay all the time around 88°C (190°F). So overheating is not a problem, also, living in quebec, winter is pretty cold, and having a grille block is helping us heating faster the engine. In summer it is less blocked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4
Aren't some mods like deletion of power steering and no DLR lights just dangerous for driving?
*Power steering deletion is not really dangerous you know... an Echo is pretty light and it is easy to turn the wheels even completely stopped, when engine is off. So, when driving, it will never cause problem. Some older car just doesnt have any power steering at all, and are not more dangerous than others...

*For the Day light, we want to put a switch to deactivate it when not usefull. I know that when its get darker, i need them, i i'm not gonna let them off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4
And isn't the corrugated plastic a danger to put near the engine considering it has a low melting point and a chance to cause a fire? Or (unless I missed something) are you going to be replacing them with aluminum?
*Coroplast is flamable, but after 2 months of having a full frontal belly pan, no signs of overheating. also, near the muffler and catalysor, we do not put coroplast, but metal screens. We do not plan to replace the belly pan with aluminium tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4
Also is duck tape a realistic method to securing these things considering a all the outdoor elements and the cars high speed, plus all the highway code bylaws.
*Duct tape is really temporary effectively... This is why the mods are not holded by tape, but with screws and zip tie. Duct tape is only to seal the gaps. We are actually upgrading our mods to have it more permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4
Looking to do some of the mods my self if they really have no negative effects on the car itself.
*Glad to see you want to maximize your car efficiency. You should take a look to these pages if it is not already done :

100+ Hypermiling Tips

65+ Efficiency Mods

Looking forward to see the modifications

2000 Honda Insight MT Silverstone Metallic #95 (CAN) 131K mi. 81.7 Lmpg
Best Tank : 100.06 MPG (US) | 120.2 MPG (Imp) | 2.35 L/100Km | 42.54 Km/L
Best commute : 130.8 MPG (US) | 157.1 MPG (Imp) | 1.8 L/100Km | 54.84 Km/L
Best Trip : 111.8 MPG (US) | 134.3 MPG (Imp) | 2.1 L/100Km | 47.53 Km/L

Last edited by HyperMileQC; 02-12-2012 at 12:02 AM..