View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #57 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Remember the London fogs that killed people, or LA, or NY, when pollution levels were a lot worse than they are now.
But those London fogs, like the smog in LA and NYC, were limited to those cities, while much of the rest of the world was unaffected by them. It's true that nowadays the former bad spots aren't as bad as they once were, but the deterioriation in the rest of the world more than cancels out that improvement.

Quote:
Well, last year we had a lot of snow, not sure how much but when you scrape it off your driveway so you can get to the road and it stays on the ground for a month, you remember it.
That's you. Hereabouts, where having snow on the ground in the winter is a normal thing, I had to evacute due to a multi-thousand acre fire - in January. And it was the second such major fire this winter, something that just doesn't happen.

Quote:
Actions speak louder than words, YOUR sacrifice speaks a heck of a lot louder than YOU proposing MY sacrifice...
I do wish someone could explain exactly where sacrifice comes into play. I see people working their butts off (if they can find jobs, these days) to put gas in their guzzlers so they can make hour-long commutes to the job they need to buy the guzzler in the first place. I see them spending their lives in the human equivalent of cattle feedlots, running up debts most of them will never pay off for the trappings of consumerist lifestyle (most of which are soon discarded, or relegated to the suburban garage), and I just have to ask what exactly they would be sacrificing?

Last edited by jamesqf; 02-12-2012 at 10:00 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Pawtuckett (02-14-2012)