View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #137 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Yer gonna have to show me a link (Not on an HHO website) that explains how this works. I have never heard it in my life, how do you heat water and turn it into its constituent parts? I know you get heat out when you combine them...so don't go pointing that out.

I work at nuclear power plants and used to operate the nuclear power plant on a submarine when I was in the Navy back in the 80's, it would be real interesting for me to know the conditions under which vast amounts of hydrogen can be created from water or steam by heating it.....I do imagine that it is heat that does it, cause getting hydrogen from ice would seem even a greater stretch.
The use of Heat to split water into H2 and O2 is well known and old tech ... It is Thermal Decomposition or sometimes called thermolysis ... heat water hot enough and a greater and greater % of the gas begins to decompose from steam water into H2 + O2... initially with a small % of H2 being split and as the temperature continues to get higher and higher a great and greater % is split ... in order to harvest the split H2 you have to separate them from the O2 before cooling or it will just reform into H2O water again ... but they have different masses and densities so there are processes that can do that ... so it does exist ... and doesn't violate any science at all ... unfortunately some of the details make it less viable than HHO advocates would like ... to get significant % of H2 decomposition you need a lot of heat.

Hydrogen from ICE would 'just' take adding more heat energy to get it up to high enough temperature.

As for links ... a generic easy one is water splitting in Wikipedia ... which even goes a bit into the nuclear reactor side you mentioned.

But is is very old science ... I'm sure there are tons of other sources out there as well if you want to look for it.

The key thing to remember about using heat to split water ... is that is comes with it's own problems ... it is completely in proven science ... but as I tried to indicate previously ... even under ideal conditions , pushing science to the limit without breaking anything ... trying to get the yields out put needed for the HHO system to be viable is where the numbers get too high to be achievable.

Not 500% too high ... but too high none the less.

Here is a academic paper on a lower temperate version ... but you have to be a AAAS member or pay for it.

- - - - -

As for how it works ... the basics are basic chemistry ... Add enough heat and you have raised the energy state of the atoms high enough to break the chemical bonds holding them together... electrolysis does the same basic thing but with electrical energy instead of heat energy.

Last edited by IamIan; 02-12-2012 at 05:48 PM..