View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4 View Post
What are your guys thought on driving small compacts vs small crossover/suv? Is it worth the extra saving in your wallet but to risk safety?
Obviously larger cars will fair better in a crash vs a small car but are they worth the extra $$$+Gas, Opinions?

After viewing the poll results I am very happy too see most people use common sense. You cannot buy a big and safe car to compensate for a lack of driving skill and awareness. When I am on the road its like I'm behind enemy lines. I don't trust anyone, I am always looking over my shoulder, and I quickly complete my objective and then return home. Any study will show you that the most common cause of accidents is a lack of attention. Now even if you are a great driver its possible to just be in the wrong place at the wrong time and that's just life. But you should not be turned away from compact cars based only on safety ratings. Driving skill and common sense is far superior to having 18 airbags.

I assume you are talking about buying a personal commuter car, not a family car. I would say protecting your loved ones while you are driving is much higher in priorities than mpg. And generally you would need a bigger car for families anyway so shopping for this kind of car sort of takes micros off the table. Buy what you enjoy and feel comfortable driving in. A car that you drive well and know the limits to will be much safer than something you don't like but is considered safe.