View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I tried lowering my Civic VX a few years back... I didn't find it to help with the mileage at all but it did make the car ride rougher and wore out the rest of the suspension costing me $100's in repairs
What kind of suspension did you put on? There are many ways to lower the car, some correct and some will ruin the ride and your suspension. If you are going to lower the car more than 1 inch you need upgraded shocks along with your coilovers or lowering springs. I would suggest lowering the car using lowering springs. Get some nice aftermarket shocks as well and you will be happy with the ride. Lowering springs in general have softer spring rates than coilover setups and can typically lower the car around 2 inches.

If you simply throw some ebay coilovers with stock shocks you will have a horrible ride and it will blow the shocks eventually. Do it right to avoid the damage Ryland is talking about. But im not sure its worth it for the MPG gains (if any). The cost of nice springs and shocks plus the alignment is going to be at least $400-500. But you get better handling and a way better look. The downside is a rougher ride due to increased spring rates and a hole in your wallet.