View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #47 (permalink)
ProDarwin
EcoModding Apprentice

I find this thread very interesting, so I'm going to play devils advocate for a minute:

There are two ends to the spectrum: Large vehicles where occupants are safer when a multi-car collision occurs, however due to poor maneuverability are less likely to be able to avoid such an accident, and small vehicles where occupants are less safe when a multi-car collision occurs, however due to size and maneuverability are more likely to be able to avoid an accident.

It seems that many are arguing the smaller vehicles are safer overall due to size and maneuverability. My question is, would you argue that doing anything to increase handling/braking abilities worth it? Stickier tires could increase your grip by probably up to .2Gs over your LRR tires. Hell, proper tire pressure could offer benefits here as well. Better brake pads too (which have no fuel economy downside).

I guess my point is that half of you guys arguing that the small car is lighter and more maneuverable have also modified your car in a way that decreases its handling and braking performance (LRR tires, high tire pressure, etc.) thus making it less safe. Where do you draw the line?