View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

Hybrid gasoline-gasoline idea.

This was a reply to the ford I3 1 litre thread i started, but the idea then merged onto a different path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...typically, only 15-20 hp is needed for steady 55-60 mph highway cruising.

...the "extra" hp is required to get out your own way on on-ramps, hills, and passing lethargic snails...ie: when accelerating!
How about a "hybrid" gasoline-gasoline engine! You have your first engine designed to get you up to highway cruising speed in a reasonable amount of time as well as having it on tap for instant power passing and climbing. But once you get to highway speed and switch on cruise control, you instantly get electronically disconnected and switched to your highway engine. A 120cc single cylinder tuned to get ridiculous mileage maxed to 20hp.

Why deal with pumping and frictional losses of a 3 or 4 cylinder "two personality" engine getting both power and mpg? Why try to disable cylinders on a V6 like on another thread?If that suzuki I3 1 litre you say can get 80mpg at a steady state 50mph, how much more will a 120cc 1 cylinder get that is designed only to operate at this narrow margin band of minimal horsepower cruising. 120mpg?

You would have to make some sort of hybrid drivetrain, but the overall cost would be much cheaper than electric-batteries. Something like $400-500 for a nice little moped engine.

Last edited by sheepdog 44; 02-15-2012 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: grammer