View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #249 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
pumpkin seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTW View Post
This is the 1939 Schlor car aka pillbug. Schlörwagen "Pillbug" - ApteraForum.com - Unofficial Aptera Car Forum

A little irony about the Schlor car...if we had a plan view, Solidworks will convert 2D images into 3D at the click of a button...d'oh!

And I believe I found the E1 Tracer. I wouldn't recognize what you're calling the pumpkin seed car if I saw it - google doesn't show me cars when I type that in.

I've found a bunch of SAE technical papers. I'll pick them up at U of T soon. I found a few of Morelli's old papers too.

A comment about the Aptera: the 1998 GM Precept got down to 0.153 Cd in just a few hours of wind tunnel testing (0.168 final shape). That's on par with the "ideal" shaped Aptera. imo the Precept is a fairly normal, and nice looking vehicle. Either Aptera screwed up the shape, or there's more to ground plane aero than we know.
Jaray's pumpkin seed is probably at 'wind tunnel' or 'windkanal' search words with GOOGLE.
On the Grumman Tracer,the pumpkin seed is on top of the plane,housing the radar.
Some fella has a website for CdAs and includes Aptera.He's showing Cd 0.11 for their final design.The X-Prize was supposed to investigate all this sort of stuff.
Hucho has Morelli's form at Cd 0.05 in ground proximity,with no wheels.
When Morelli put wheels on his 'Banana' car the drag jumped from Cd 0.161,to Cd 0.35.They had to do a lot of chiseling to get it back down to 0.201.
Have fun at UT Austin,that ought to be a hoot!WHOOPS! I guess that would University of Toronto,not Texas.

Last edited by aerohead; 02-15-2012 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: OOPS!