View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
I could not find any lower mile longblocks around so I just decided to buy a remanufactured motor off eBay. It was pretty expensive at $1500, but its basically a brand new engine. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and the body is in great shape so it was better for me to just invest the $1500 now and have a great running car versus buying a used motor (if I could find one) that could potentially have problems later on.

Im pretty excited to put in the new motor. Should be arriving tomorrow. I have been getting about 34 mpg in the last couple months so it will be interesting to have a nice new motor and actually be able to use lean-burn again lol.

EDIT:

This is a pretty interesting read:

http://www.civic-hx.6thgearadvertising.com/

It explains that indeed CVT uses 4 wire and manual uses the wideband o2 sensor. Also, the IACV on the CVT has 3 wires vs. 2 on the manual. But I think the CVT still has lean-burn because they probably wouldn't put in a D16Y5 and simply disable the lean burn. If they did thats pretty lazy engineering. But according to that guy it has lean burn but it still doesnt explain why the CVT didnt have the 5 wire sensor.

Last edited by cbaber; 02-15-2012 at 09:44 PM..