View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Air-Hybrid
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrain View Post
personally I dont see this working at all. but haveing a positive attitude to anyones ideas and willingness to try it. if I read this right the bigger the heat differance the higher the out put. OK heat side against the exhaust right we get that. How about installing a CPU heat sink (with out fan) on the coolside. then it will "air cool" while the car is moving.
Re. the heatsink for the TEG's cold-side: if the car is at low speed or stationary, the devices are likely to become even less efficient without some forced air (like a fan) - because the thermal differential across the device will shrink if the heat isn't removed effectively.

I should add:
Maybe my exploring a 'best' setup implied I -do- think these devices would work ... I don't. At least I think the cost would mean a payback about 10 times the life of the car! Give it another decade for the tech to improve, I reckon.

=====
The best way to recover power from the exhaust is not to make so much of it in the first place by fitting an Atkinson cycle engine!

Last edited by Air-Hybrid; 02-16-2012 at 10:28 AM..