View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
jamesshaw89
EcoModding Lurker

2007Prius - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 44.4 mpg (US)

1996s10 - '96 Chevrolet S10
90 day: 20.01 mpg (US)
I just read up on the coast down testing and I don't know how feasible that is is going to be to do...

Maybe the ABA testing or round trip route done on the same day might be better? since the temperature change makes such a huge difference in the Prius mileage I'm not sure the best way to test anything?

Is there a good way to test mods on a Prius? Like you guys are pointing out I would hate to have one mod help and another mod hinder but not know which one did what?

Front air dam angle...Keeping the same angle as above the bumper to "throw/push" the air above the car seems like what I would want to do right? having a flat plate from the bumper down seems like it it would be pushing the air instead of cutting through it?

Belly pan...I looked under there a couple weeks ago and there are a lot of plates already under the car but I did see a few places that looked like they could be cleaned up some. There is a big trough where the exhaust goes that should benefit from from aluminum sheet or maybe aluminum screen as I saw someone use.

Boat tail...I have pondered several options which all have to be removable as my wife will be driving this car full time here shortly and she really does care what it looks like when she is driving it...it will however be our long trip car so I can put mods on, take them off for them. So far I've pondered using a plate of blue sheet foam cut to the shape of the back end and using expanding foam to take up the space between the foam and the car's rear bumper/hatch. I was thinking of wrapping the rear of the car with plastic wrap to protect it from the foam and should make the boat tail mounting point a nice molded fit...from there though I am wondering how to figure the angles. The lights and license plate I was thinking of using extension lines to LED's that will work the same as the factory tail lights. I'm not sure how long the thing would be yet either, I would like to take it all the way to a sharp point but how long would that make it?

How do you guys draw your arc for the rear boat tail angle for the top, bottom and sides? do you make like a giant compass with a piece of string to draw the arc or ???

Rear view mirrors...I picked up some small 2"x2" stick on adjustable rear view mirror things from wal mart but they are kind of too small to be useful...I did see another one this week that is probably 4"x4" which I could stick inside the car and remove one/both the rear view mirrors. I tried folding them in but backing into a parking place was about impossible even using the back up camera...

Wheel covers...I couldn't figure any way to put plastic sheet on the wheels? I started putting the pizza pans on last night but my stainless screws were just a little too short so I need to get some more today.

Man I wish I knew a good way to test each of the mods on this car to see if they are helping or hindering...what about coasting down a hill starting from a set speed in neutral and checking for a velocity at different places/the bottom?