View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #257 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carnut View Post
Won't Autozone or Advance Auto Parts or a place like that diagnose electrical issues for free? Might be worth a try if there is one close by. At least you would know the issue and then could decide if you wanted to pursue fixing or not.
Correction... they will test your parts for free given your looking to buy the replacement from them and scan error codes thrown by the car's computer. Most likely the new alt is good, but it could be bad. Also I would like to note that part store workers typically don't work on cars for a living, they can talk the talk well since they handle the parts all day, but they don't install or diag the problems as often as a normal mechanic. Don't get me wrong, parts salesmen know quite a lot about cars, I'm just saying in general, different workers come from different backgrounds.

There is a place near me that will diag any electronic problem in a car and guarantee it to be the problem, they do not do any of the work, 100% diag only. Down side is that they charge a hefty price for their service.

If I'm wrong, I never seen the option to get the free diag, and will be looking to abuse, i mean use that service next time I have a car problem instead of dragging my dad out to check it.