View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
99metro
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
I am DEFINITELY not a leading expert of truck drivers. However, most every male in my family drives an OTR truck. I could just never quite bring myself into that career. Working with gas turbines just seemed to fit better. I hear the stories, share experiences, 4 wheelers vs trucks, crazy driving. I spent years on the interstates driving along with the trucks, CB blaring away the whole time. I always had a CB in every vehicle since my 1968 Chevy Nova back in 1979. You learn a lot just listening. Sometimes you just gotta turn the thing off when someone starts making irritating noise.

Point is...when I'm putt-puttin' along hypermiling my Chevy Metro, the truckers don't know any of this. I'm just another 4 wheeler (stereotyped of course) that needs running over. If they knew, I'm sure they would just pass, I'd flash when it's safe, they'd flash thank you, and be on our merry way SHARING THE ROAD and being courteous to one another. My opinion is that generally the local truckers are by far the worst at anything, and the professional drivers are truly the best. Night and day. I am aware of what they don't know, so I just try to be safe around them and try to stay out of their way. The way I see it, they are working on the clock and doing a job.