Thread: Hit 20.6mpg!!
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Am pleased for you. 20-mpg is unbelievable for those of us who grew up around big block powered trucks with 3.54 or greater. Claiming 12-mpg would have had others thinking well, okay, but 14 would have had others muttering, even in the 55-mph days. Some cars would hit 16 with those motors, but that was with better aero and 3.0 gears. 10 at 65-mph would have been seen as acceptable, but it would have been 7-8 mpg while towing.

I find that 58-mph is my fastest slow speed. The curve really works against anything above 60. This is where an Aerolid may give some leeway (as I hope a gear change to 3.42 from 3.73 will also help). As to worrying over others I just don't. Not after speed-limited big trucks. One just becomes better with mirrors and with how to move others around one. Traffic management. "They" are just none too bright, overall, and prone to being manipulated in one's favor.

What I like best is being able to predict nice low fuel consumption numbers consistently. I've made two out-of-town runs this week totaling 900-miles or so (will re-fill truck tomorrow). At 4-gls/100-miles it's easier to factor the utility of the trip. Even at 5 per 100 it's a country mile from 8-gls/100 of the old days.

Over multiple fills the satisfaction of seeing the fuel cpm decline is great.

My goal, overall, is this year is to get the truck/travel trailer combination down to 6-gls/100-miles on average.