View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
at 3700 pounds I think the mass will smooth things out. Any Motor I get is likely not going to be able to effectively move the vehicle on its own (as if I would be so lucky) I am hoping for something like a Bicycle Sprocket thing. IE you can stop pedaling and it "free spins" I am hoping to find a larger heavy duty version of something like this. would eliminate the need for any clutch or lever.

Worst case I am hoping to do what people do with there alternators. IE removed the electrical load and the alternator free spins for the most part.

Sure it will add "some" load but this increased load should be far far less than the benefit I will gain from the electric motor reducing fuel needs.

For now I am just going to try and "get it working" and see what happens. If it proves unusually effective say I manage to get 50mpg. then I would definitely look into both a controller and regen. IE I could just wait a year and use the saved gas money to buy the parts :-)

If the motor proves powerful enough to handle the load I will first go with a larger batter pack. or work on making a NIMH battery pack.