View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #154 (permalink)
TheEnemy
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
So think about that for a minute. You yourself admit that your calculations have a huge amount of uncertainty, yet you're going to completely ignore the part of the range that you don't "feel" is right. Are we perhaps indulging in just a tiny bit of wishful thinking here?

Now this may come as a huge shock to you, but the universe just doesn't give a damn about what you feel. It's gonna do what it's gonna do, according to the laws of physics & chemistry, and the best you can do is a) try to understand those laws and their consequences; b) when you don't completely understand, prepare for the worst. If that's what happens, you'll be ready. If not, you can congratulate yourself on having lucked out - this time.
As I also stated if we were responsible for 97% (IPCC) you wouldn't be able to see a cooling during the low in the 11 year solar cycle. It would just slow down a little but continue warming. I didn't say we didn't have an effect, and unlike many of those that preach the doom and gloom I have stated up front that there is a lot of uncertanty.

There has already been at least 1 mass histeria event where the world was comming to an end and we had to prepare for the worst in my liftime, I think there were 2 but I can only remember the y2k one. You can beleive this is the world comming to an end if you want to just don't rub it in my face if you want me to cooperate. There are many other good reasons with very noticable effects to support higher efficiency, lower emissions, and recycling.

Jumping without thinking things through is only going to make matters worse. Many of the things people do on this site are resonable improvements, sure some take things too far but overall this site is very good source of information.