View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #160 (permalink)
TheEnemy
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
You're wrong. Learn something about the science, and you'll know why.

And why do you suppose that the world didn't come to an end because of Y2K? Because a lot of smart people took the "mass histeria" seriously, and spent years working their butts off to find and fix the problems before they happened.

Yet you'd rather sit and not think at all?
So I spent a few years reading up and studying the science behind global warming, and have come to a slightly different conclusion than "the we are responsible for all of it" means I don't know science.

Because I was actually tasked with checking some of our hardware to make sure it would still work after the new year, all the while people were blowing their savings preparing for the end of technology. Yes certain industries (banking) had to make sure their systems were fixed, but the vast majority would do what one of our systems did by giving a date of 19100, because the date was actually in binary they wouldn't have problems until 2027. Even then you could just adjust the clock. But you couldn't tell anybody that they shouldn't worry, that their car would still run, that the lights would still turn on. Nope they insisted that everything would just shut down, even when I pointed out that their 20 year old car didn't even have a computer. (yes for real)

No I would rather think things out rationally come up with solutions that will actually work, especially considering human nature of most of the population. Most people are resistant to change, sometimes you have to sneak it up on them, make changes without them noticing, convince them on another reason, etc... Heck the price of gas is doing more for the environment than all the environmental brow beating I have been seeing.

I have acknowledged that global warming is happening, and that our emissions are most likely a large contributor to it. Can you show me any scientific evidence whatsoever that it is going to be disastrous?