View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Well, Ecomodder's sister site EcoRenovator is basically EM but for houses. The users there can help out with the entire process.

Off the top of my head though I can think of a few imporant things:
-ensure the new building meets strict levels of air sealing (beyond energy star levels), this is very important
-insulate beyond standard levels (very minimal cost for the gains and fast ROI)
-use a light colored roof, preferably one with some reflective qualities to reduce heat gain from the sun since you're primary concern is cooling
-design overhangs so you don't get direct sunlight in summer, but do in winter

There is an organization called "Passive House" that literally builds houses so they don't need heating/cooling systems (or at the most use tiny systems). You don't have to go that far, but taking a few tricks out of their playbook can really get you a long ways. I'd look for a builder experienced with passive house design to do your work. Its a different way of building that incorperates not only higher r values and superb air sealing, but also thermal brakes and some other techniques to reduce heaing/cooling energy use. You have a great chance to start over here and with passive house techniques you can come very close to eliminating heating and cooling energy usage not to mention having a very comfortable house to live in.
beatr911 (02-23-2012), moonmonkey (02-23-2012)