View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
You'll probably want a low cost laser printer. I have a remanufactured brother HL2140 ($30 after rebate) that's managed to print about 1000 pages on the starter cartridge, and a good price for a normal sized cartridge (~2400+ prints) is around $12+, so that's about half a cent per print on ink. Paper is around 2/3rds of a cent, so copies run around 1&1/3rd cent each. You can also print double sided to reduce the costs to about 5/6th of a cent. On top of that you can also refill your own cartridges for about a quarter of a cent per page, which puts the cost at a bit more than half a cent per page.

Ink cartridges tend to be much more expensive, however refills are almost as cheap at about a third of a cent per page, so only marginally more expensive than toner refills. That said, the biggest problem I've found with ink is that the cartridges tend to dry out sooner or later, which isn't a problem with laser printers and why I decided to go with one. I may print 700 pages, let the thing sit for a year, and I can come back and printer another thousand pages, unlike an inkjet printer that would have likely dried out.

So far I've used it to print out FSMs, and over the course of a thousand pages or so it's been pretty good.