View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
redyaris
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschloop View Post
I was hoping to find some chloroplast for all the simple curves, because it's very lightweight and rigid I will need to make a Fiberglass nose cone, but I am going with a much smaller one than Craig. I found some solar/uv curing resin that I am going to try for this. it's supposed to make the whole fiberglass thing much easier, as you have infinite working time in the shade, then you just set it in the sun and it cures. if this resin works I could make nosecones for as little as $50 each.
Does anyone know how much cooling airflow i'll need? I can get small fans meant for venting the engine compartment in a boat, but I don't know if they are big enough.
I would recomend a book The Racing Motorcycle, A technical guide for constructors, by John Bradley. Pages 225 - 228
The amount of cooling air flow needed is much less than most people emagin. the key is managing the air... with respect to velocity and amount. You want to slow the air down going past the fins of the engine so it can pick up heat and then speed the air up before re-entering the ambiant air stream.