View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Vibrations will likely be an issue, but otherwise... why not? I've always liked the sound and character of 2 and 3 cylinder engines. Funky little things.

-

I'll believe the CPT when I see it. A 33 hp boost on a 200 hp engine would likely require about 5-6 psi... probably requiring around 10 hp in power going through the alternator.

An electric supercharger would definitely be a good way to eliminate boost lag without resorting to an expensive and finicky to maintain variable-geometry unit... have it pump just 2-4 psi into the engine at low rpms to support the regular turbo...

But they're dreaming if they say it can run off a standard 12 volt system continuously. Thomas Knight's system has massive drain under boost, which is why the battery packs are needed.

Maybe it's a Unicorn Corral thing?

EDIT: Okay, the 33 hp boost is on a small-ish engine, and the power curves show that all happens at low rpms, basically what you'd expect from the turbo's spool speed and power (about 2.4 hp peak shaft power)... which would also justify the claim it will work with a 12 volt system without a battery pack.

So you wouldn't have a lot of peak power, but the 70-80 naturally aspirated horses could be boosted to around 100 hp with a fatter torque curve. Perfect for daily use.

Neat little thing. Now I want one.

Last edited by niky; 02-23-2012 at 10:35 PM..