View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
graydonengineering
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Turtle New rout, 12 more stop lights and 37mpg! (in a Nissan Frontier 5-speed pickup truck)

Yet again I am finding, the slower the rout, the better my mpg is. If I go to work on the Freeway/highway rout I can get 31 mpg at best but 28 average.

This new rout goes through town and all the stop lights but the speed limit is 40 rather than 55-75 and the stop lights give lots of chances to pulse and glide to mesh my speed with light timing. I was able to roll through almost every light without hitting red! This mornings drive in was about 60% over epa!

After all the emissions problems I have had and all the money it took to fix them, I am glad to be reaping the rewards as gas zooms past $3.50 a gallon. I also ditched my old clutch fan for an electric fan and so far after setting the on temp to about 190 degrees, I don't believe it has come on a single time. The clutch fan felt very stiff so I know it was dragging a lot.

Also aired the tires from 40 to 44 (max) and I was amazed at how much less resistance I felt when I hand pushed the truck a few feet into the garage to close the door. The ride is not as smooth but it just forces me to seek the smoothes rout possible which is a good thing anyway.

I believe I can now blast my average well past my previous record of 31 mpg! More mods to come.

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg

Last edited by graydonengineering; 02-24-2012 at 01:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to graydonengineering For This Useful Post:
slowmover (02-24-2012)