View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
drmiller100
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rower4VT View Post
Instead of messing with the injectors or pulse-width, just increase the fuel pressure. My stock pressure was 36 and at 65psi I can run E85 with no issues. Do not go above 65psi however as that is the generally accepted upper limit for injectors.

In terms of tanks and fuel pumps, you shouldn't have to do anything. I converted a '94 Acura Vigor with 200K miles on it. Been running E85 for a year with no problems.
This is the easy way. And the specifics are to put a fuel pressure gauge on the line at the injector, and adjust or replace the regulator.

Often you can unhook the vacuum line signal to the regulator (unplug the vacuum line) which raises the fuel pressure at idle and cruise.

From there, start adding E85. You will find the happy limit pretty easily. If you add too much E85, the check engine light will come on, but the car will continue to run fine (assuming 96 or newer and OBD2). If you have an older car, the car will accept quite a bit more E85, but eventually it will start to cough, have a hesitation, or generally act crabby. At this point you have reached "too much E85" and you will have to add 5 or 10 dollars of E10.

Also, most cars run FINE on E10. To change to E85 is less then 20 percent diffference, not the 30 percent quoted above.