View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
sendler
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
I hope to get to Ohio but can't say for sure If I will be able to get away. 430 miles from my house is easily rideable in a day. The more I read and think about what Craig is doing with this, the more it seems like the ground floor of a revolution. It would be an honor to be pictured with these guys.
"Bags" on the side of the rear wheel is relative. There is some (wasted?) room on the sides of a tail that could be use for thin items like books and maps but might be more trouble than it is worth to skin and waterproof. I should have plenty of room if I use the space behind the rear wheel instead which is free air and beneficial to cd. My overall height will be much lower than Alan's as well as I plan to only come up as high as my shoulders when tucked and only need 19" wide to cover my hips. I expect to add nearly zero frontal area and make a slight improvement in cd while adding 80 liters of lockable storage. Actual side bags will add frontal area and increase cd but the more important thing is to do whatever it takes to have enough luggage room to ride when and where you may want to instead of taking the car. The first step is to just get more small bikes on the road to increase acceptance. And then to stream line them. I would hope that everyone with any kind of fuel efficient motorcycle, groceries or not, who has their heart in the right place would be welcome to show up to ride along and contribute comparative data for the event. It would really serve to drive home the advantages of stream lining to have some stock Ninjas ride along to show their stock 65mpg next to Allen's 100. Maybe then someday Honda would take note and make something ready made for us that looks like Craig's drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vetter sketch.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	10342