View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #179 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,416 Times in 3,388 Posts
Just saw $4 at a Shell station tonight, and just across the street at Arco it was $3.80. No idea why anyone buys fuel at Shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
So why are so many Americans still paying such a large fraction of their incomes for gas? Surely anyone but the terminally ignorant has seen this coming for years - decades if you go back to the Arab oil embargo of the '70s. Is it just that they refuse to deal with reality? And if so, why should I sympathize?
People are not entirely rational beings, and Americans in particular have certain weaknesses, chief among them being vanity. We are all about image. A Hummer thundering down the road projects a certain image of wealth and power (it projects a different image to those of us in the know).

When have people ever been forward thinking? We tend to live for the moment- tomorrow be damned. We have children before establishing a solid relationship, we buy on credit and fail to understand how wicked compounding interest is, we see home values rising at 8% per year and expect that to continue forever... the list of absurdities goes on. Heck, I just stayed out until 2am last Thursday knowing Friday would be hell, but I did it anyhow.

It's a miracle people as foolish as ourselves can live such extravagant lives. As for why you should sympathize- I would simply because I too have failed to live an entirely rational life and would hope people are mature enough to pity the foolish decisions I have made.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!