Thread: Ford Fiesta
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
They are still working on the Fiesta. They also bought another one that was not damaged as much as the first one. Ford is making it costly to get the parts. They want the old parts back or you have to pay a core charge (on body parts!). Doesn't make much sense when the old parts are basically smashed to pieces. I think maybe Ford doesn't want the aftermarket getting their hands on any old parts, but that is just a guess. The second one is just about ready for the road. I'll see what they are asking for the car then do the math, but I just got a significant amount of work done on the Maxima, hopefully so it can make it to 200k miles without many more repairs. It would be hard to recover than money if I sold it right now, but even the tires should be good for another 55k miles (currently just under 145 K). Last tank in the Max was 29 MPG.

I'm not sure if I am going to buy the car or not. Doing the math it will take a long time to break even comparing the total cost to my 1999 Maxima. With the Max at probably a 29-30 MPG average and the Fiesta at 42, for as few miles as I put on the Maxima (most of my miles are on bikes at 67 MPG average) the additional cost of the the car, property taxes, and probably higher insurance, plus depreciation, the difference would be hard to justify economically.

regards
Mech