View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
What caused my random spike in MPG today? from ~45mpg to 52-55mpg at 45mph??

Ok... so here is the long version, skip below to the * marked short version if you wish.

I was thinking about unhooking 2 injectors (cyl 2 and 3) to see what the MPG impact would be. I started it up, ran as I expected, engine vibrated quite a lot, but ran kind of like a 2 cyl engine under a load. When I reved it a bit to see if it would smooth out, the check engine light started flashing, and when it idled back down it went solid. Engine codes E0300 and 2 other 3xx codes were set. I cleared them, hooked up the fuel injectors and drove home like I normally do.

Driving while cold got me my normal ~30mpg at 40mph, once 130F hit, it shifted and I sped up to 45 and got lockup.

Couple turns later (about 10 miles) I was shocked my instant MPG gauge was saying 55mpg and I was traveling 45mph. I normally get around 42-45mpg at this speed. I put it off as a down hill slop since this is only my 3rd drive home with the scan gauge. Well 3-4 miles down the road it was still 52-55mpg... I was able to keep it over 50mpg until my next stop including a couple small up hills. After the stop I got to speed and it resumed the 50+mpg.

In the last ~4 miles of the trip, I was looking at the different sensors to see what one(s) were out of the normal. Only one I could find is the IGN, normaly it rides around 37-39, but it was running solid at 24. When I sped up slightly it would jump to 37 or 39 instantly with very light gas and lifting off it a little it went back to 24.

*** Short version ***

-I unhooked 2 injectors and was going to drive home like that to test the MPG difference, it set engine codes so I hooked them back up and cleared the codes
-Cold MPG was normal
- around 10 miles into the trip I was getting 55mpg at 45mph, normal is around 42-45 mpg
-IGN reading was 24 instead of the normal 37-39

*** Trip Stats ***

44.7MPG average
36 Miles
204F max WT (192 thermostat installed a few weeks ago, old one stuck open)
49MPH max
38MPH Avg

So to me it sounds like my timing is too fast or the gas I have isn't running very well at the more advanced timing (low octane?). I 95% of the time fill up at the same station and same pump because their pumps always gave me the best gas mileage when driving my Camry (before a scan gauge).

Comment what you think is causing this, because what ever it is, I am loving the better MPG. My last best was the same trip, same speed, tiny bit colder day, and it was 41.7mpg, I didn't have 50+ mpg figures at 45mph except going down hills.

Just to note, I have been getting right around 38-39mpg before I dropped my speed to 45mph instead of 50mph. I have yet to have a tank 40mpg+. Comparing to other users, most get 32-38mpg on this site, one I saw at 42mpg. Only mods on my car is a upper grill block, cardboard in radiator (still there when thermostat was stuck open), and the scangauge. The last 3 tanks have had no changes, and the outside temps are around the same +- 5 degrees.

If I can figure this out, I might be able to hit 50mpg average + with such little mods with a car rated for 26mpg average (where the hell they get that low IDK..)

Last edited by ps2fixer; 02-26-2012 at 01:13 PM..