View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
yostumpy
EcoModding Lurker

wallace - '98 landrover 300tdi defender 110 hard top
90 day: 24.56 mpg (US)
A thousand questions from a newbee (driving a diesel Land Rover)

Evenin' chaps. Not quite a thousand, but a fair few, not all at once tho'
(oops cant post a pic yet sorry folks, you'll have to guess)

This is Wallace, 1998 land rover defender, 300tdi turbo deisel.
last tank 26.4mpg imp, before finding this forum, so hope to improve on that.
Found the site on sat, went for a drive on Sunday in our MY2000 998cc Toyota yaris. I'm quite a careful driver (I thought) and I usually eek 50mpg from yaris on shortist runs, but reading this and the tips section, I pumped up the tyres, and on a 30 mile return trip got a whopping 60.5mpg imp on the inboard pooter. I was quite impressed.

yes the land rover!
Q1) I know I cant fit a vacum guage to a deisel, but can I fit it into the vacum take off for the (removed)egr, the pipe comes out of the air filter housing, or is it still a nono.

Q2) whats the best way to drive a 2.5ltr turbo deisel, 4x4. its got no electro gizmos, and a purely mechanincal Bosch inj pump. Do I

A) drive with a heavy foot up to speed then ease off

b) drive with med right foot looking for 'no smoke ' using the torque of the motor, but not the revs

c) drive like there is a VG fitted, ie light load, higher rev, trying not to use the turbo, if you know what I mean.

I under stand that its a different technique from a petrol engine, and for the last month I tried to be as gentle as poss, but only managed 26.5mpg imp. But then I discovered you lot!!!!!!!! I've been reading so much my eyes hurt and my legs ache. I think I was doing all wrong, as my trip in the Yaris proves.
Wallace has a full safari type roof rack fitted which I do use some times, and I'm thinking of cutting off the side upstands 75mm so that its flat, and then cutting it into 3 parts, with the 3 legs at the rear staying on, the middle section thrown away, and the front 3 leg section easily removable, and place where its needed. but as I use the truck for work. Do you think the partial removal will improve matters? I know its not the best testing ground in the world, as my driving is rarely a repetative commute.