View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tony Raine
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
yeah, i searched more and found some good topics that are very similar. for some reason, i am only able to log in for a few minutes at a time, then i can't log in for several hours. so most of my searching has been while i was not logged in and couldn't use the search button. of course, i just realized that you can search while not logged in....... all the other forums i'm on don't have that feature. haha, i feel a little dumb now, but oh well. i learn a little more each day.

i plan on keeping this rig for a little while. its paid for and has horrible resale value. its been an amazingly reliable vehicle. besides regular maintenance, the only thing to go wrong was the PCV valve in the last 105,000 miles. with good maintenance, it will last 300,000 or more. i say this because my parents had a '94 explorer that lasted 298,000 miles with semi-decent maintenance. eventually, i want to get a more efficient car. check my intro thread. this rig will end up either being driven by me, or given to my mother to DD.

i figure since its paid for and i can't get jack for it, i might as well have some fun with it and see what i can do. soon, my commute will be cut in half, and i will be carpooling. my wife's car is used for longer trips ('08 pontiac g6).

i love it when people in yaris', civics, camry's etc..., pass me on the highway or floor it at stoplights. i laugh because i'm getting the same mpg as them, without new car payments. and theres no way i am buying a used civic that some punk beat the crap out of, cut the springs, and put a gigantic exhaust tip on (thats the way they end up around here).

i can't really do the more extreme driving tips. i would seriously get plowed over by a big rig or a crack-addict in an 80's chevy caprice. i have read the tips on this website, and i am implementing as many of them as i can.

i guess what i am saying is that i don't really need to do it, i just want to see if i can. i'm in no rush, so waiting for the right part to come along is no problem.

i'm fairly mechanically inclined, so the driveline stuff is no problem. part of my current job is rebuilding electric motors, but on a smaller scale. i've just never put the 2 together.