View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
KY_Canyon
EcoModding Lurker

BigBlue - '05 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4x4 Z71
90 day: 22.39 mpg (US)
Well, the first tank I ran without cruise was at 19.9, corrected to 19.68 for actual miles. My most recent fill-up was at 20.9, corrected to 20.67.

The one thing I noticed with the cruise was that even going down steep grades the truck would engine brake then accelerate repeatedly. I ordered a Bluetooth Obd2 (cheap one had to return) connector and ran Torque for a day and my down hill mileage would go up to 40-50 then down to 18-24 over and over (coast-accelerate-coast-accelerate). The cruise control also caused the truck to downshift on almost every hill. So, by not using cruise I have been able to maintain speeds from 63-70 with no down shifting except one hill. I am trying to maintain a consistent throttle position and only manipulate it enough to minimize deceleration on hill climbs. I've also found I can keep Absolute Throttle Position between 28-32% for 95% of my Hwy travel. As far as coasting goes, the truck just doesn't coast well in gear...even to stops. It engine brakes down to about 50 mph rather quick, then coasts a bit better. Nonetheless, I'm doing my best to coast as far as possible for stops and slow turns.

I'm hoping that once I get Torque working full time that I'll be able to adjust my driving enough to break 25 MPG once the weather warms, but I've learned a lot about the truck, and my right foot in the past month. All recommendations welcomed.