View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 04:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
a lot of carmakers are bringing out "eco" models of cars already in production, notably vw and seat, i'm seeing more and more polo bluemotions in the streets, and it's understandable, because they're hardly more expensive that their standard counterparts and every bit as funtional, to me they even look slightly better.

they basically apply most things us gassavers do to these cars like tweaked aero, reduced weight, taller gears, lrr tires and tweaked engine management maybe lower ride height.
, the grillblock seems to be stolen from the polo bluemotion (i'f theyd have it in black and put some riblets you wouldn't know they'd blocked the grill,but they made it a bit more obvious to deferentiate between the standard car, so ironically even when blocked the top grill is still a styling element) but it's nice to see the Cd go from 0.33 to 0.29, i don't think they could have dome much that can't be retrofitted to any comparable "standard" car. i hope this trent will continue and newer designed cars will cary over this attention to detail in the aerodynamics department.

it would be nice to see what exactly they changes they did compared to stock, most things would be easily coppied on a modest buget.

while i don't think carmakers browsed this site for inspiration and they knew how to do things right all along, i think it's partly thanks to some people showing they actually care what Cd a car has and how the gearing is laid out carmakers are finally beginning to get their act together

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*