Thread: E15 on the way?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #84 (permalink)
Allch Chcar
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Canyon View Post
For the calculation above I used the EPA's efficiency loss data (not mine). In fact, they claim a 20-30 % loss for E85 vs pure gasoline.

The EPA makes no claims to the real world MPG of Ethanol because it can't. They use straight energy content to calculate the MPG loss. New FFVs reportedly get anywhere from 5-15% losses, depends on what generation they are from. Older FFVs and Non-FFVs get anywhere from 15-29%, mileage varies. E85 has 71% of the energy content of Gasoline so any less than 29% would be a loss in energy efficiency compared to Gasoline. I've actually never heard of anyone getting less energy efficiency with E85 than Gasoline only E10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Canyon View Post
There is no widespread use of E15 yet. That is what this thread was started in regards to. I have never used E15.......only E10. If my previous post insinuated my experience using E15 rather than E10 then I didn't do a good job with my wording. I also don't have E85 in my area...so no experience with it.

Properly formulated ethanol will contain 65-66% of the energy potential of gasoline. Therefore it is 34-35% less efficient (at best). So, E10 should calculate to a decrease of 3.5% and E15 should calculate to 5.25% decrease. However, an engine designed for pure gasoline will not burn ethanol as efficiently as an engine designed specifically for it, and therefore the realized decrease will be greater and will vary from engine type to engine type.

My original post was intended to point out the fact that the two fuels have different engine requirements to maximize efficiency. The blending of fuels almost guarantees that we will end up with a sub-par outcome.

The truth of the matter is that we have the ability to produce cars/trucks that could run on 100% ethanol or methanol if the free market would support them. Ethanol is nothing new. In fact, it's been around for more than 100 years. However, under pressure from special interest groups, the government chose to subsidize corn based ethanol and is slowly forcing the market to use it. Originally it was E10, now it's E15, next it will be E20 and before you know it they will be mandating ethanol in much higher percentages leaving no choice to the consumer.
It seemed like you were compared E15 to E0.

Ethanol does not burn any less "efficiently" in a Gasoline designed engine, it burns at least as efficient as Gasoline in older FFVs. That's an idea based on anecdotal evidence not scientific study.

Studies suggest that low-mid blends E10-E40 gets almost the same MPG meaning E40 would be the most efficient because it has less energy. I've seen this confirmed by a another source too.

I can't think of any subsides directly on Corn derived Ethanol. The VEETC was for blending and went almost completely to Oil Refineries. The Farm bill subsidizes Corn but that actually went down as Corn prices went up.